Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spam Jam

Today was SPAM JAM!!
What is Spam Jam you may ask. Spam Jam is a yearly festival celebrating...SPAM!! They had so many different foods made with Spam. Here are a couple of examples of the different types of food they had. These are my favorites:

 Spicy Spam Wrap, Asian Spam Crunch Salad, and Philly Cheeseateak Spam-wich          Spam Loaded Potato Skins, Spam
                                                                                                                          Bento, Mac & Cheese with Spam

 

Garlic Shrimp & Spam, Spam & Green Onion Omlet Sandwhich                          Spam Fried Rice, Spam Loco Moco, Spam Katsu

 

               Spam ICE CREAM!!                                                                                                             Spam BURGER!!

 Spam Lettuce Wraps, Spam Lo Mein                                                              Spam Poke (a traditional Haeaiian dish
                                                                                                                                 made of raw Ahi--fish)

I've never had Spam before in my life. I worked this morning and informed one of my managers (who is Hawaiian) that I've never had Spam before and the look I recieved was startling. He went on and on about how amazing it is and trying to describe the taste. Everything. He said that now that I am here in Hawaii I must try it. I figured I had to try it...for the sake of the blog!! I really wish I could have tried everything in order to give a well rounded review but I could only afford to try 3 things.

They were giving free samples of Spam Macadamian Nuts. I think Spam was just the brand name because these nuts didn't have any Spam-like flavoring. They were as amazing as all Macadamian Nuts always are. At work I had a chance to try Macadamian Nut Crusted Mahi. Um....simply put, it was the most delicious thing in the world! I want to try and make it myself. I may use Spam Macadamian Nuts to try out that recipe.

 

This was the Spam Katsu -- Aka Breaded Cripsy Spam. It had the texture of a hashbrown patty (which I love) and the spam itself just kinda tasted like salty chicken I would say. All in all not bad. The ketchup definitely helped it go down. Very good.


Next I tried a Spam Baby -- Aka Spam Burger with Sweet Potato Fries. This had BBQ Sauce on it. Again, with the BBQ sauce and the delicious bread surrounding the Spam patty, not bad. I'm not sure if I would eat it alone but with the little extras...sure. Also....

Mary: "You'd eat anything as long as it had BBQ sauce on it."
Declan: "Ch-yea! I'd eat my own hand!"

He said that he may not want to try Spam with BBQ sauce but I say it's not so bad so he'll just have to give it a go. haha.

All in all, it was a great time!! There were dancers, live music, TONS of people, and Spam cans walking around. I had a great time and I'm glad to say that I had a chance to partake in the Spam festival and try me some Spam. Great day!!




No comments:

Post a Comment