Friday, April 15, 2011

The wheels on the bus go round and round and round and round and round...

First of all I am so happy to say that I did get that job at Margaritaville! It's part time at the little retail store where they sell merchandise but I'm hoping that I'll be trained in the restaurant and bar because I feel like I'd make more in tips than just a normal hourly wage. Anyway, YAY! That's my foot in the door!


I'm greatly enjoying the fact that I don't have a car. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE walking around and I can't wait to get my bike. All things in due time. As for now, if I'm going anywhere far I just take TheBus. TheBus is the transportation around Honolulu and different places on the Oahu island. It reminds me of the Rutgers buses and I feel very comfortable riding around in them. They've been very effecient and it's $2.50 for a ride with a free transfer. Not too bad.


Inside TheBus

Yesterday I went to see an apartment. Very, very nice apartment with a lot of little extras like a pool and outdoor recreation area, a library, etc. Unfortunately the price is too high. I'm still looking though. After that, as a little present to myself for getting a job, I went to the Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve. Amazing place. It's a marine preserve where people are able to snorkle and scuba dive. It took about 40 mins in a very crowded bus to get there but once there the view was amazing...

First view of Hanauma Bay from where the bus drop off.

I didn't realize that it was a Nature Preserve so it cost $7.50 for admission. You had to watch an educational video about preserving the reef and animals before you were allowed to pass. To rent a snorkel and fins it cost $7. Not too bad but I decided to save the snorkeling for when some special guests come around to visit me. I just layed out on the beach and tanned. There's always a cool breeze so it's never unbearably hot. After an hour or two I put my stuff in a locker and went into the water. A little cool at first but you get used to the temperature very quickly. The water is so blue and so clear. I walked around and shot a few more pictures.

On the beach of Hanauma Bay

By 3:00 I decided to go back to Waikiki. I headed up to the bus stop. The bus arrived by 3:30 and we were on our way. After some time we hit a complete stand still. We were inching little by little but occasionally stopped for some time. A few people got off and decided to walk the 5.5 miles to Waikiki. My phone had died by this point but others were able to find out what was happening. There was a hijacking, police got involved, the criminal was shot and the acomplice crashed the car on Kalanianaole Highway which was the road we were on. Crimes happen in paradise too. So it didn't look like we were going anywhere because Hawaii doesn't have too many side roads. The bus driver decided to turn around and go around the island.

Image from kokomarinacenter.com

We didn't have to go around the whole island; that would have taken forever. The bus driver had to go around a part until he found another road leading to Waikiki. I didn't get back to my hotel until 7:30. It was definitely an exhausting trip but I was able to see some more of the island. Too bad the phone died and I wasn't able to take pictures. It was gorgeous. Stuff happens but I still love this island.

No comments:

Post a Comment