Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Goal #1 - CHECK!

About a week ago I wrote my goals for the month in my blog. This week, one has been checked off and completed exactly as hoped.

Tbe goal was:
1. Find another job (preferably in a bakery but don't push you're good luck too far.) Anything that allows you to survive with a little extra cash in your pocket will do.

That day I went to a bakery and it turned out that they were hiring and posted an ad on Craig's List. We had a brief interview outside in the outdoor cafe area and she asked me to send her my resume. As soon as I got home I sent the resume. I didn't go to any other bakery or restuarants even though that was the plan, simply because I had a good feeling about this one. Low and behold, next day I get an e-mail saying that they liked me and would like to do a trial run on Monday.

Yesterday was my first day in the bakery. It was everything I hoped for and more! I was there by 6:45am (15 mins early). I put on my apron and they put me to work right away. This is what I did!:

First thing I did was decorate mini cupcakes. About 30 of them were for an order and another 50 were for the bakery display case. Now, of course they had the regular Red Velvet, Vanilla, Strawberry, and Chocolate cupcakes. However, they also had Lilikoi (Passion Fruit), Guava, Macadamian Nut Mocha, and Haupia (Coconut). The cupcakes had various fillings and frostings and I had to follow the instructions in the book. Easy peasy! The most difficult part was getting used to using parchment paper folded into a bag instead of a normal cake decorating bag. After the first failiures with the strawberry cupcakes I nixed the paper and opted for the traditional bag. Muuuuch better! =)

Then, I scooped a whole bunch of oatmeal batter into cookie balls. This required a lot of bicep muscles that have not been properly used in a long long time. I worked through the pain though. This will not defeat me! I did it all. I forgot to count how many there were total but let's just say there were A LOT!

After that I piped white royal icing into coral reefs onto wax paper. This was hand cramp after hand cramp but I pushed through the pain. I made 25 of those very elaborate lines.

Lastly, I learned how to properly crumb coat a cake and ice the cake in whipped cream. It was definitely challenging. I haven't crossed that hurtle yet but I feel motivated to conquer it!

They liked me and I loved them and what I was doing!! They're going to give me my full schedule next week. But as of now it looks like I'll be working at the bakery Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. And at Margaritaville Tuesday thru Saturday. It'll be a lot of work and pretty much no days off but I'm so happy because I'll actually love what I do. YAY!

AND DON'T FORGET! THE GIVEAWAY DEADLINE IS TOMORROW! COMMENT ON THIS POST AND YOU'LL BE ENTERED TO WIN!!!

2 comments:

  1. is one of your goals getting a bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very proud of you!! You are doing what you wanted and you are accomplishing all your goals. You are going to learn a lot more at this bakery. Who knows someday you will have your very own bakery, I do not doubt it!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete